April 18, 2024, 07:07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handle Bar Tavern Closure  (Read 11276 times)
Beanzy

« on: April 08, 2010, 08:54:26 AM »

Hi all,

Just read in my local rag (Bankstown Torch) that the Handle Bar Tavern is to close on May 3.

Due to "economic downturn" and that the Bankstown Sports Club who operates the HBT and DGV has to cut costs. The BSC subsidises the DGV precinct to the tune of $500 000 per annum.

Hope this doesnt mean anything for DGV.

I love a beer after RAW!!

Beanzy
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

It is hoped that the HBT licence will be purchased and will open under new management.

This will have a major impact on the DGV and it is possible the venue could be closed.
troublemaker

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »

hello everybody,,
yes I was suprised to hear of this from buddies from other clubs. I thought I read an article  in an Email from CNSW saying that the above mentioned was going to happen and asking fellow riders to actually support the venue by visiting more frequently.
 I can clearly see the diference in rider presence from Race All Winter events compared to the summer events and organised training nights.

So instead of asking riders to use the venue,
                          shouldn't they be asking WHY RIDERS DON'T USE the venue.
Tony U

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:31:37 AM »

I think to intimate the use or lack thereof by patrons of the velodrome had any primary impact upon the decision to close the tavern is fiscally nonsensical.

The money (or lack thereof) in terms of revenue generated by the tavern was from the pubtab, the pokies and the regulars and their bar and bistro revenue. Clearly the numbers didnt add up.

Bike riders might contribute a little but I would say less than five percent of total revenue.

Nonetheless it is a total tragedy and I was one of the many who patronised the place with my family and friends, and drank my (maximum allowable) 3 schooners of light beer before driving home.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 01:42:43 AM by Tony U » Logged
Tony U

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 01:40:26 AM »

..... I might add we all know the track was built in the wrong place, there was at one time talk of putting it in the carpark at Penrith Panthers, and I belive the decision to put it at Bankstown was due to the city of Bankstown losing the road race which was at one time going to be run on Canterbury Rd and Henry Lawson drive i.e. dead flat and boring.

I love getting out there when I can, it would suit me a lot better if it was in the middle of my club track at Waratah Park at Sutherland or Heffron Park at Maroubra, but alas this is where it is.

Lets not forget though that without the long term and very substantial support of Bankstown Sports irrespective of where the track was it would probably already be like the one in Athens, surrounded by overgrown trees, and closed behind a locked gate and unused.

So lets appreciate what we have.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 © Saxon North Technologies