April 29, 2024, 05:15:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Info for a newbie  (Read 29155 times)
chamois

« on: June 15, 2009, 05:00:34 AM »

Hey all.

Long time listener, first time caller. Last year i heard about this raw track business and decided that this year i'd give it a go. So i've gotten a track bike and i'm ready to pick up a 6 month ca license from july 1.

Problem is that i've never ridden track before but I've got lots of road and mountain kays in my legs so i'm not entirely useless.

What i'd like to know is what is a novice like me required to do before they can take to the track on a friday night? I'm going to head down on friday to watch as a start.

Also, is it possible for a track novice to get some social/free track time for practice?

Thanks
troublemaker

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »

wed. night's from 7.30pm, BSCC hold open training nights for $10. There is no set routine,just get up & ride. Rider's there will be more than happy to assist in any quest. Then come Fri.,don't waste time watch'n , jump in the deep end & swim.
Cashy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »

If you can get there during the day, the track is open from 8:30 am - 5 pm.  It'll cost you $10 to ride around for as long as you like.  Give the guys in the office a call before you go and you should be able to line up one of them to give you some pointers.

Have fun !!
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »

Chamois

A well worded question!
On a number of occasions we have had very experienced Road or MTB riders have their first ever track experience in the Novice grade at RAW (FNWTR). There is no actual requirement for you to have trained or ridden the track prior to you entering the Novice grade however, it is recommended (read below). Novice races are of a simple nature and the maximum field is limited.

Requirements
•   Current CA race Licence
•   Australian Standard approved helmet
•   Regulation track bike.

Recommendations
•   Waiting for the July 1st  6 month Licence is a sensible and cost effective option
•   Heading to RAW a week before hand is a good idea just to familiarise yourself with the procedure.
•   Getting some time on the Track mid-week is very much advised, contact CNSW or visit CNSW website for more details
•   If possible, try another track, such as Tempe, Hurstville, Lidcombe or Merrylands to get a feel for the unique riding style of a track bike.  The above listed tracks are all a lot flatter then DGV.
•   The Warm-up at RAW is often the scariest time (for new trackies) as there can be a lot on the track at once, so be prepared and get out early then come in when it starts to get crowded.  You are better off waiting for the first Novice event where as stated before the field is limited.
•   Buddy up with a competent rider at RAW: most of the dudes at RAW are really relaxed and happy to take a newbie under their wing for the night. Ask Questions, Watch, Listen and Learn! 
•   Respect the Track but don’t be afraid.

Hope this has helped a little. Please post here if you have any other queries.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:37:53 PM by Artson » Logged
rosko

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:38:55 PM »

Come on guys.... What about the most important tip of all?

KEEP PEDALLING!!!
troublemaker

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »

all the info [above] is gonna jam your head. just dive in ,head first. Then when someting goes wrong ,you know what you got to work on. Wink
alchemist

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:27 PM »

Come on guys.... What about the most important tip of all?

Don't try keep up with Crafty in the tavern after racing?
roxii

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18:02 AM »

Dumb newbie question time!

What time does the track open for warm ups??

Cheers
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

RAW Track Warm up officially starts @ 6pm
Under CNSW rules, you will need to have your race number on to go out onto the track.
First Race is @ 7:05pm

Special note.
Every second week, RAW Track hosts junior development.
On those weeks the Junior Development team have control of the Track from 6:10pm till 6:40pm
chamois

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

With regards to the wednesday night training rides, do i need a license or day license to ride? Also, who are the loan bikes arranged through? I have a few friends keen to come too who need bikes...

Thanks
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:36 AM »

Loan bikes are through CNSW (Barry McLean) who will also be able to resolve license issues.
chamois

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »

Happy new financial year. 2 more questions-

1. I'm now a financial member of ca and my local club but i don't have a card and i haven't had my id sited. What do i need to do or bring to make sure i can sign on on friday night?

2. Gearing- my bike is geared at 48x16 which feels pretty slow and spinny on my rollers. Any suggestions on what i should be running and what's the most cost effective way to do it?
Alex Simmons/RST

Cycling Coach & RAW Track Sponsor

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 01:05:44 AM »

Happy new financial year. 2 more questions-

1. I'm now a financial member of ca and my local club but i don't have a card and i haven't had my id sited. What do i need to do or bring to make sure i can sign on on friday night?

2. Gearing- my bike is geared at 48x16 which feels pretty slow and spinny on my rollers. Any suggestions on what i should be running and what's the most cost effective way to do it?
1. Bring your recent receipt/application form signed by your club secretary.

2. Get a 15 cog.  End of day you'll want a choice of chainrings and gears.
48-51T chainrings and 16-14T cogs gives a really good range.

Terminator

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »

Chamois,

Build yourself up a fixed-wheel road bike with about a 72 gear on it. It can be any old piece of junk, just set it up like your road bike and you will get used to riding a fixed wheel without all the embarrasing hiccups being on full display.
You will progress so much faster than if you just go to the track once a week.
Good luck, Have fun.
Terminator

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

One more thing Chamois,

Listen to any advice that Alex Simmons gives you.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 © Saxon North Technologies