March 29, 2024, 02:58:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - (19th June) please feel free to add Race Reports.  (Read 16735 times)
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« on: June 19, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »

RAW Track          
Race All Winter Track          
Dunc Grey  Velodrome, Sydney, Australia         
Week 1 June 19, 2009         

Results         
Round 1         
Warm up scratch race         
Novice heat 1

1   Angus Mckay       
2   Gary Gunliffe      
3   Anthony Brown       
4   Tamarra Hunter       

Novice Heat 2          
1   Roger Cull       
2   Peter Rox      
3   Norbert Gerold       
4   Mark Hales       

Div 5          
1   Joshua Lester       
2   Vince O'Dwyer       
3   Les Bull       
4   Holly Heffernan       

Div 4 Heat I         
1   George Lowe       
2   Matt Glanville       
3   Shaun Colley       
4   Sasha Belobrajdic       

Div 4 Heat 2         
   Dominic Russo       
   Madison Law       
   Ian Denker       
   Ross Clague       

Div 3 Heat 1          
1   Nathan McLachlan       
2   Dave Evens       
3   Jouhn Nguyen       
4   Grant Fahey       

Div 3 Heat 2         
1   Neil Land       
2   Ky Wittich       
3   Alex Ramsey       
4   Brett Douglas       

Div 2          
1   Chris Murray       
2   Ivan Colig       
3   Ian MacGregor      
4   Tony Unicomb      

Div 1         
1   Jackson Law      
2   Scott Law      
3   Tirian McManus       
4   Patrick Kilmurray       

Round 2      
The RAW Track 2km Pass'n'Out wheelrace         

1   George Lowe    175m   
2   Scott Law   0m   
3   Dominic Russo    200m   
4   Jackson Law    25m   

Round 3         
handicap novice          
1   Mark Hales       
2   Peter Rox      
3   Norbert Gerrald       
4   Anthony Brown       

Win'N'Out Div 5          
1   Vince O'Dwyer       
2   Joshua Lester       
3   Les Bull      
4   Justin Buckland       

Win'N'Out Div 4 Part I           
1   Matt Granville       
2   Sasha Belobrajdic      
3   Shaun Colley       
4   George Lowe       

Win'N'Out Div 4 Part II          
1   Jason Ingram       
2   Madison Law       
3   Ian Denker       
4   Matt Hines       

Win'N'Out Div 3 Part 1          
1   Wall Mullany       
2   Brett Hansen       
3   John Nguyen       
4   Dave Evens       

Win'N'Out Div 3 Part 2         
1   Ky Wittich       
2   Kor Sietsma       
3   Dominic Russso       
4   Dan  Cleary       

Win'N'Out Div 2          
1   Andrew Mills       
2   Glen Elton      
3   David McMaster       
4   Tony Unicomb      

Win'N'Out Div 1          
1   David Stevens       
2   Tirian McManus       
3   Justin Tomlinson       
4   Nathan Saunders       

Round 4         
Endurance H'cap Novice

1   Peter Rox       
2   Norbert Gerold       
3   Gary Cuncliffe      
4   Angus McKay      

Points Race Div 5          
1   Joshua Lester    15 points   
2   Vince O'Dwyer    7 points   
3   Justin Buckland    7 points   
4   Less Bull         3 points   

Point Score Div 4  15laps  part 1         
1   George Lowe    13 points   
2   Sasha Belobrajdic   8 points   
3   Matt Glanville    5 points   
4   Shaun Colley    5 points   

Point Score Div 4  15laps  part 2

1   Ross Clague    10 points    
2   Ian Denker    8 points    
3   Madison Law   5 points   
4   Matty Hines    5 points    

Point Score Div 3 15laps  Part 1         
1   Dave Evens    15 points   
2   John Nguyen    7 points   
3   Jack Edwards    5 points   
4   Rob Wheaters   2 points   

Point Score Div 3 15laps  Part 2         
1   Alex Ramsey    8 points   
2   Kor Sietsma    6 points   
3   Andrew Hellmich   5 points   
4   Dan Cleary    5 points   

Point Score Div 2 15laps           
1   Andrew Mills    10 points   
2   Scott Suine    7 points   
3   David McMaster    3 points   
.=4   Scott Mills    3 points   
.=4   Jake Abramovic    3 points   sorry have no idea who finished higher in final sprint

Point Score Div 1 15laps           
1   Scott Law    8 points   
2   David Stevens    5 points   
.=3   Tirian McManus    5 points   
.=3   Ben Harvey    5 points   sorry have no idea who finished higher in final sprint

Round 5         
Combines Div5+4

1   Michael Chidgery       
2   Joshua Lester       
3   Justin Buckland       
4   Simon Huggins       

Combine Div 4+3         
1   Andrew Hellmich       
2   Sasha Belobrajdic      
3   Dan Cleary       
4   HuhHuh??         Too busy watching George Turn right!   

Combine Div3+2          
1   Kor Sietsma       
2   Scott Mills       
3   Carl Smith       
4   Dave Evans       

Swerve Cafe / CNSW Time Blaster          
Target time 9min 00sec for Prize $100         
Div 1 + Div 2 Scratch 30 lapper    

1   Scott Law   8min 54 seconds    

any disputes or mistakes please email me pcraft@vtown.com.au
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:35:53 AM by Artson » Logged
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »

The Below report is by Greg Johnson (Northern Sydney CC)
It is taken from Gregs Awsome Cycling Blog ...Velociti.

Check it out: www.velociti.org/blog/

Track Racing – bruised lungs and getting schooled…
June 20th, 2009

If you’re a trackie and living anywhere in or around Sydney, you’d have known that last night kicked off the start of the 2009 series of Race All Winter (RAW).

After making my ‘debut’ track racing last year I was itching to get out there again this year and enjoy the rough and tumble smash fest that is track racing.  I started in the novice grade last year and worked my way up to division 3 where I enjoyed being competitive and coming away with a swag of wins and placings.  This year I decided to step up and signed on to Division 2.

As per usual, Crafty was in fine form and despite the fact he doesn’t have his trademark dreaddies anymore, he was looking slightly less scary than this recent photo of him:

He was sporting a bit of hair, and the wiry facial hair was trimmed down to a fashionable bit of stubble.  As per usual, he fired up the mic and provided endless entertaining commentary as well as bringing the races to life for all present.

So, a bunch of races on the agenda for the evening, I rolled up to the warm up scratch race – unfortunately for me I rolled up into last wheel.  The bunch rolled out and from the word go I was off the back.  I got a shock with how fast the bunch in Div 2 rolled compared to Div 3 and spent basically the whole of the first race just trying to keep in contact with the back end of the field.  I rolled off the track thinking “what the fuck, I’m not that lame am I??”

With a higher average speed in Div 2, and given I’ve generally got a good ability to push a bigger gear, I found myself a little underdone on a 49×15 gear (88 inches).  For the rest of the racing I changed over to a 50×15 (thanks to a mate, Peter Rox who had a spare chainring) which improved things.  I got in the pack and went out front to drive pace and see what the front end of the field was like in Div 2.  Whereas in Div 3 I found it relatively easy to get a break and go off the front, it’s a completely different ballgame in Div 2 – you’ve got to have someone a little asleep behind you or be seriously strong to break from these guys.

I found the racing in Div 2 was much, much tighter and considerably higher pace.  In the lower grades the pace ebbs and flows, whereas in Div 2 it’s pretty strong from the word go and just winds up from there.  There’s much less spread in the bunch as well and people are generally better at keeping their line.  I found myself on the inside on a couple of occasions as riders were coming over the top of me – so long as you hold your line it’s not a problem, despite higher speeds and more aggressive riding.

Tony Unicombe (known by mates as Jabbs) was there in fine form:

It was good fun racing in the same division as Jabbs and always good to get a few pointers.  Riding on his wheel when the jump went on one of the sprints in the points race I could swear he was going to bust his bike in half – “animal” is probably the appropriate word.  Oh, and Jabbs had his custom number pinned to his back, proudly telling me it was 100 – one for each kg he’s hauling at the moment:

It was a huge turnout on the night and it was awesome to see so many first timers there as well.  Tamara (a friend from triathlon, known to mates as T-Bird) was there and had some good races in the novice grades.  One thing is for certain, Tamara has style:

Chatting to Tamara after the race I think it was a bit harder than she expected, but knowing her, she’ll be smashing some of the boys soon.

Also present was “novice” Roxii (Peter Rox) – I say “novice” because he’s had a few spins at the track previously and I think even rode a teams pursuit not so long ago.  He managed some good results (cough, cough, burglar) in the novice grades – pulled off a couple of wins and some placings.  I’m looking forward to Roxii moving up into Div 4 and getting busy in the thick of it.  Roxii’s another bloke never short of a smile:

There were some of teh guys I got to know last year as well from my cycling club – Northern Sydney (NSCC).  Carl and Owen, plus Brock Roberts.  Some good racing from these boys and was good to see them again – a year older and a year stronger!

I’ve got some tinkering to do I think with gearing as I step into Div 2.  Whilst in theory I could learn to spin a bit faster and harder, reality is I think I need a bigger gear so will play around with everything between 88 and 96 inches – suspect 92 or 94 inches is about right for me at the moment.

Finally, had a roll around on Jabbs’ new bike – awesome piece of machinery from Felt, the new TK1 frame which looks something like this:

Not only is the bike nice and rigid (gotta be with the sort of power Jabbs puts through a frame) but the headset setup (which I think is borrowed / adopted from their triathlon TT frames) is beautifully put together and the adjustability of the integrated stem is cool.  I took the bike for a roll and it felt solid as a rock – a seriously nice bike.

Well, enough babbling on – lungs are still bruised this morning and I feel like I learnt a lot last night.  Can’t wait for next Friday!!

Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:30:44 PM »

George's Race Report

Havn't got the hang of embeding on a forum so click

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyDr_xODqE
GT

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:27 AM »

George's Race Report

Havn't got the hang of embeding on a forum so click

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyDr_xODqE

1st time I have seriously tried to pedal backwards!

George has acknowledged the seriousness of the incident and was thankful that no one was brought down. I got the impression from our discussion he will spend a bit more time developing his track skills before contesting for a win , and I am sure we will see him riding safe & straight on the front later in the season.

Something we have all been through at some point, maybe not as spectacularly!

Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:01:51 AM »

Credit where credit is due.

On video www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyDr_xODqE  check out the dude on the orange bike, black helmet, Blue and white skin suit

He is in a good a position to place 3rd or 4th (on the wheel of the North Sydney rider) but you actually see him turn his head to see George in trouble. He then quickly and smoothly backs out and heads up the track to be out of the way when George finally goes fully pear shaped.

This action deserves a pat on the back.
It may sound simple but it is hard in practice "Self preservation is more important than placing/winning a bike race"
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 12:47:58 PM »

RAW Track 
Week 1 Report

It was cold, but I guess that is what you expect sometimes when you Race All Winter. RAW Track 09 kicked off last Friday and it was great to see so many returning riders.  It was even more exciting to see so many RAW Track virgins. Div 4 and 3 had to be split to ensure a safer passage for riders in these divisions. 

Highlights of each round.

Round 1 warm up Scratch race.
It was clear that some of our first time riders underestimated their ability, especially in the lower grades with the majority of early races being won by the proverbial country mile.
It was also clear in the early stages of the Div 1 race that a few riders were showing some first race jitters as the pace line was snaking around the track. Eventually the top riders got their act together and the pace line picked up and smoothed out. Jackson Law took the first of what I would expect to be many wins for 2009 season.

Round 2 RAW Track Pass’n’Out Wheel-Race
The top two riders from Div 4 – 1 lined up for this interesting adaption to the standard Wheel-Race. The difference was that if you were passed by a rider you were instantly eliminated.  Immediately from the start tactics became clear as the two Div 1 riders joined together to start mowing down the already depleted leading riders.  With only 2 laps remaining we were down to two riders Div 4 rider George Lowe holding a slender 60m lead over Div 1 rider Scott Law. It seemed that Scott would easily catch the Div 4 rider; however George showed some serious speed and held all his advantage to take a great victory.
A little investigation revealed that George was a very competent triathlete who was trying track racing for the first time.  So far he had 100% record at track racing 2 wins from 2 starts.

Round 3 Win’n’Out
One of my private joys of this race is when a rider goes all out for the first sprint and just misses it. They then find themselves a small distance in front of the bunch and wisely decide to keep going only to be rolled on the line. Still in the lead they bravely continue on but get completely blasted as they approach the line for the third sprint.  My compliment s goes to Ross Clague who fulfilled my private joy.  Ross got beaten by Jason Ingram in the first sprint, pipped by Madison Law in the second sprint and demolished by Ian Dencker in the third before he assumed the foetal position in the middle of the track.

Round 4 Points Race (Over 15 laps 3 sprints)
David Evens is a rider with great credentials on the road riding for the North Sydney based KOM team. However this was track racing and David was struggling with positioning in the Div 3 field. That was until he worked out a successful tactic. David made his way to the front to contest the first sprint which he won from a long lead-out, he then basically stayed on the front for the remaining 10 laps to take out the last 2 sprints. Whenever anyone tried to take the lead from him he would simply ride faster. I wish racing was that easy!

Final night combines
After having a very successful debut in track racing, George Lowe lined up for the Div 3 + 4 combine. There is very little I could write that would elaborate on the action you will see on this clip www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyDr_xODqE
Really worth watching.

CNSW / Swerve Cafe Time Blaster
Scott Law has had a traumatic year
•   Set national record in 200m fly
•   Wins Silver medal at Jnr Worlds (South Africa) as a first year
•   Training for Nationals has serious accident with car
•   Brakes leg doing permanent damage to knee joint
•   Second shot at Worlds dashed.
•   Has to learn how to walk again.
•   Finally gets back on bike around March
•   Early May is involved in a pre-race accident that puts his Dad in a comma and Brother in hospital.

Look out World Scott Law is on his way back!  Taking small but important steps he won the Time Blaster in 8 minutes 54 seconds to win the $100. I am sure the $100 meant very little compared to the reassurance that he is making progress in the right direction.   

all photo's by actionsnaps www.actionsnaps.com.au
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 12:52:31 PM by Artson » Logged
Michael C

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 01:42:19 AM »

Round 3 Win’n’Out
One of my private joys of this race is when a rider goes all out for the first sprint and just misses it. They then find themselves a small distance in front of the bunch and wisely decide to keep going only to be rolled on the line. Still in the lead they bravely continue on but get completely blasted as they approach the line for the third sprint.  My compliment s goes to Ross Clague who fulfilled my private joy.  Ross got beaten by Jason Ingram in the first sprint, pipped by Madison Law in the second sprint and demolished by Ian Dencker in the third before he assumed the foetal position in the middle of the track.

win 'n out is the devil....

mikesbytes

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »

I've got a thread on another forum where I post my results, but I'd thought I'd put a copy of them here for the trackies.

First a bit of background, I'm a MMAS4 rider who started racing for about 3 years ago, 2 years at the track, though not a lot of races there.  Getting to Dunc Grey on Friday night has had its challenges and often I'd ride the 30 odd k's from Chatswood to get there.

Over summer I got more into track racing and was interested in doing a full season at RAW this winter, however I crashed racing at Tempe on Jan 29, breaking my ribs and puncturing a lung, the result of a crank arm failure.

With time off the bike my fitness suffered and the track bike had it its use by date, I didn't end up back on the track bike until 2 weeks before RAW.

On week 1 I couldn't make it so I did 2 spin classes and then the reason I couldn't make it disappeared and I called Christian up to see if he could transport my bike.  Rode out Dunc Grey from the CBD.  Anyway enough waffle, here's my report

========

Race 1 - 10 lap scratch
Didn't arrive in time for warmup, so it was straight onto a race. I was dropped after 7 laps, the glutes gave out, not surprised in the slightest.

Race 2 - some sort scratch sprint
Not my kind of race, not particularly interested, however I changed my seat height between races and wanted to test it out, so I came out onto the the track a couple of seconds after the race started and sprinted around by myself, so to test the new seat height.

Race 3 - 12 lap points race
Scored down to 4th place, I was still struggling but my legs were getting better as the evening went on. I didn't contest the earlier sprints, but as the field got thinner, I managed to hang on, ie not get dropped and I went for it on the final sprint, but I was pipped on the line for 4th, I think, the other rider wasn't sure who got 4th, but you don't know if your won, but you do know when you lost. So zero points for me, but I was getting further towards the front.

Watching the video later, I could see that I did an excellent job of positioning myself for the final sprint, but simply didn't have the legs.

Race 4 - 12 lap scratch race - Div 3 + top end Div 4 riders
Had myself in a good position with one lap to go, up the track where it was a good to get a clean sprint, but I was a bit slow on the first 150mtrs of the last lap, then I started to sprint and immediately I had to slam on the brakes (back peddal), which isn't particularly obvious on the video, instead of gaining metres on those in front, I had to loose them and just as well, as I only just managed to miss him. I felt that I had a chance of getting a placing, but in the end the achievement was not crashing. If only I had an on board camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmyDr_xODqE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 Saxon North Technologies