April 20, 2024, 04:37:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 7 (July 31 ) Results + Reports  (Read 19596 times)
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« on: July 31, 2009, 04:03:59 PM »

Raw Track          
Race All Winter Track          
Dunc Gray  Velodrome, Sydney, Australia         
Week 7 July 31, 2009         

Results         

Round 1         
Warm up scratch race         
Div 5 heat 1

1   Nick Edwards      
2   Marian Renshaw      
3   Harry Herne      
4   Camilla Norman      

Div 5 heat 2          
1   Richard Jefford      
2   Nobert Gerold      
3   Hayden Streeter      
4   Vince O'Dwyer      

Div 4 heat 1          
1   Kate Gilbert      
2   Laura Triggs      
3   Ji Waldron      
4   Katrina Lane      

Div 3 heat 1         
1   Darryl Thorncraft      
2   Christian Lees      
3   Matt Glanville      
4   Sasha Belobradjdic      

Div 3 heat 2         
1   Stephen Joyce      
2   Joshua Lester      
3   Shaun Colley      
4   Michael Clement      

Div 2         
1   Kieran Heffernan      
2   Scoll Mills      
3   Michael Smith      
4   Scott Suine    

Div 1         
1   Scott Law      
2   Po Hung Wo      
3   Gavin White      
4   Jackson Law      

Novice          
1   Peter Wan      
2   Tim Scott      
3   Mark Craig      
4   Jackson Streeter      

Round 2         
The TWE 2km Wheel-Race

1   Ben Harvey      
2   Tirian McManus      
3   Glen Elton      
4   Gary Mandy
5   Sasha Belobradjdic   
6   George Lowe

Round 3         
Novice    

1   Mark Craig      
2   Tim Scott      
3   Peter Wan      
4   Jackson Streeter      

sprint  Div 5 Heat 1         
1   Marian Renshaw      
2   Rebecca Peters    
3   Joanne Troutman      
4   Victoria Armstrong      

sprint Div 5 heat 2          
1   Hayden Streeter      
2   Harry Herne      
3   Keiran Bull      
4   Nick Edwards      

sprint Div 5 heat 3         
1   David Greenwood      
2   Richard Jefford      
3   Norbert Gerold      
4   Adrian Emilsen      

Italians          
1 v 2    

1   Po's Team      
2   Upton's Team      

3 v 4   

1   Team # 4 (McManus Team)      
2   Team # 3 (Nugget Team)

5v 6         
1   Team # 6 (Harvey's Team)      
2   Team # 5 (Gavin's Team)      

Round 4         
Novice    

1   Mark Craig      
2   Peter Wan      
3   Jackson Streeter        
4   Jacob Jones      

Madi lead  Div 5 Heat 1         
1   Nick Edwards      
2   Harry Herne      
3   Victoria Armstrong      
4   Rebecca Peters      

Madi lead  Div 5 Heat 2         
1   Hayden Streeter      
2   David Greenwood      
3   Norbert Gerold      
4   Richard Jefford      

Madi lead Div 4    

1   Ji Waldron      
2   Les Bull      
3   Ian Dencker      
4   Brian Peters      

Madi lead Div 3 Heat 1         
1   Sasha Belobrajdic      
2   Christian Lees      
3   Joshua Lester      
4   John Nguyen      

Madi lead Div 3 Heat 2         
1   Craig McGee      
2   Bradley Heffernan      
3   David South      
4   Neil Land      

Madi lead Div 2          
1   Scott Suine      
2   Mick Smith      
3   Glen Elton      
4   Scott Mills      

Kiren Div 1          
1   Patrick Kilmurray      
2   David Brown      
3   Chris Brown      
4   Darren Cash      

Div 1 madison         
1   Law / Law       
2   Harvey / Upton      
3   White / Wu      
4   Cornish / McManus      

Round 5         
Quick group Combine

1   Peter Rox      
2   Norbert Gerold      
3   Hayden Streeter      
4   Alexis Kaless      

Fast group Combine         
1   Matt Markwell      
2   Matt Lester      
3   Peter Harvey      
4   Brie Maloney      

Faster group Combine          
1   Jack Beckinsale      
2   Alex Ramsay      
3   Sasha Belobradjdic      
4   John Peters      

Swerve Cafe / CNSW Time-Blaster         
Target time 8 min 43 sec for $100   

1   Law   8 min 43.36 secs   
2   Tirian Mcmanus       
3   Po Hung Wu       
4   Ben Harvey       

$100 Jackpots       

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 09:36:12 AM by Artson » Logged
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:09:40 PM »

One free entry to RAW track week 9 (Aug 14)
For the best Report post (as judged by a professional penal)

•   Judging will happen on Sunday night
•   No minimum # of words
granny aged female

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »

Week 7 Raw Track, July31 
An Armchair Review

Well, actually, I did not sit in the comfort of a lounge chair, but was multi-tasking: keeping an eye on the action as it unfolded on my computer screen alternating with preparing the family evening meal and doing various preparation for the newsagency for Saturday morning.

The racing as it appeared on the screen was almost like being at DGV in person.  The program is listed in a window on the side of the screen, so the viewer can follow what is happening and can also indulge in interactive comments.  Some of the other viewers were in Bathurst and Brisbane and one was home ill in bed.  Sometimes the commentary veered from discussions relating to cycling, like questions asking if anyone knew the progress scores in the footy.  The action unfolding at DGV was pure excitement and was better value than following the mainstreams offerings of cricket/footy/swimming in those skinsuits. 

The camera showed the action from various angles, including scanning the competitor area in the middle and concentrated on the starters and MC, Crafty at the commencement of each event.

After the introductory scratch races, there was the TWE 2km Wheel Race where a custom-built set of wheels was the reward for the winner.  What a fantastic prize.  The winner of this action-packed event was Ben Harvey.

Round 3 involved Italian teams from Division1-4, two teams per race, chasing each other round the velodrome.  It was interesting to see how individual ambition sometimes undid team cohesion.  A well co-ordinated team achieves a better result.  The opening camera shots of each team on the fence was impressive.

Round 4 consisted of several types of races:  Madi-leads, kieren and madison.  As a relative beginner, I was surprised to learn when listening to the track commentary that the idea in madi-leads and kierens is to drop some of the competitors relatively early in the race (but to keep some still in).  This was not the way I had personally envisaged these races.

The madison , a race between teams of two, is not a common event and proved a very interesting spectacle.  The winning combination was the Law brothers team.

After the combines came the piece de resistance:  the Swerve Cafe/CNSW Time Blaster.  This was a sit-on-the-edge-of your-seats race where the top riders were competing for a $100 prize as long as they beat the previous mark of 8 minutes 43seconds.  During the first few laps, the peloton was running 4 or 5 seconds behind the pace, but Crafty assured them that they could still make it up and not to panic. The pace in the next few laps started to fall away a little more but then riders started flying and it was a thrilling finish with one of the Law boys taking line-honours.  But did his time qualify?  With more drama than Eddie McGuire, Crafty drew out the announcement, reminding us that the time to beat was 8 minutes 43seconds and the winning time for the night was.....8 minutes...43seconds...point36.  Missed by a mere .36 second.  That would have to be the most exciting moment in "televised" sport in Australia on Friday night.

Not long after this moment, I was snug in bed before the folk at DGV would have been tucking into their pasta meal.  I was home well before mid-night (I live in the Hunter Valley) and I had witnessed a great night of track racing.
John H

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »

Back on a velodrome after more than 30 years !

You may have noticed me on the track on Friday night, probably the only rider with hairy legs, a genuine leather Brookes saddle, 1970's Condor frame, and toe clips and straps.

I raced in the 1970's and early 80's, against the Law brothers Uncle Mitch when their Dad Grant was still riding in Juveniles.

I had a short "comeback" 15 years ago riding at Adcock Park up at Gosford but haven't been on the bike since.

At the end of February this year my best friend Marcello talked me into having a go at the World Masters Games in October. With not much time for training (I leave for work in the City at 6am and get home at 6pm) I've been trying to get fit on the indoor trainer at home.

We didn't have board tracks in the 1970's, we had Camperdown (250m and 37 degrees) as the closest to DGV but generally the tracks were flat and around ovals. Having watched the Olympics at DGV I've always wanted to have a ride on a board track to see what we missed out on.

I got my CA license off the internet during the week and got my track bike together on Thursday night so I could finally get to ride on the DGV boards.

I signed in and took the advice of Paul to ride in Division 4 for my first night. Onto the boards I was soon up onto the blue line. It was just like being back on Camperdown, only a lot less bumps !

The plan for night 1 at DGV was to basically get used to riding a fixed wheel bike again, riding a steep velodrome, and riding in a bunch, so a very cautious first night for me, therefore I can't give you a blow by blow description of what took place at the front of the Division 4 races because I wasn't there. 

What I can tell you is that the program was great. I got 4 rides in Div 4, the warmup scratch, the Italian Pursuit (off second wheel we didn't blow our team apart early and Team 6 recorded a win), the Madi-Leads (a great idea to give the lower grades an idea of what its like to follow a madison team doing a change), and finally the combine.

The TWE wheelrace was great to watch. I had the scratchies picked as winners from 2 laps out but it wasn't to be. The Madison was a top race with the Law brothers clearly the best team, but a great scrap for second place.

I watched the last Swerve Cafe on the internet and was impressed with the pace of the Div 1 guys. This weeks race looked like they weren't in with a chance of beating the time (8.43) as early on they were well down on schedule (not surprising given most were backing up after a hard Madison) but Jackson Law brought it home hard over the last few laps to just miss the time by 0.36 seconds.

I really enjoyed getting back on the track and look forward to more rides at RAW on Friday nights before the World Masters Games in October.

Well done Paul for putting on a great nights racing with a real mixture of racing to keep it interesting and a good spread of grades to give everyone a chance. I'll have to get the family to watch on the internet next time.

John Howden
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »

Judges couldn't split between granny aged female and John H
Problem solved both riders have 1 free entry to RAW Track
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

Sorry for the delays

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyNGKZewm2c

Italian Pursuit team 3 (Back Straight Bennett) v's team 4 (Front straight McManus)
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:31:03 AM »

Video of TWE Wheel-Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUDKUI1aTQ

Geo

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:14:23 PM »

Nice race coverage and entertaining commentary.

Thanks for sharing this with us Paul  Wink

Geo.
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »

When you have a former World Champion as your handler

•   Check out Peter Barnard’s push start face.

•   This is the only event Peter didn't crack in..... Grin(the smiley means it’s a Joke)

Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:33 PM »

The TWE Wheel-Race Report

This Friday was all about one race that has been 7 weeks in the making. The TWE Wheels 2km Wheel-race is an event that the top 4 on the series Points-Score from each division (1-4) qualify to ride.  First prize was a set of TWE wheels of the winner’s choice made specifically for them with the minor placings receiving TWE chain rings. This one race sported a total prize pool well into quadruple figures. The handicaps on paper looked to favour a div 2 or 3 victory but of course the scratchies and limit riders were keen to have a shot at the massive prize pool.  17 riders spread around 230m of the 250m track was an impressive sight.

The start
Division 4 got off to a great start with all four riders falling into a perfect line and each determined to keep this group moving at the business end of the race.

Division 3 also got off to a brilliant start, possibly the best out of all the divisions; however George Lowe was not content with the speed of his group and hit the front with an explosive turn of pace. Only two laps later three of the four riders from this group had made contact with the leaders, but seemed momentarily stunned by the early violent pace.

Division 2 had a dismal start with the lead rider blowing this division to pieces. It seemed like these riders were intent on riding the 2km solo. Scott Mills had easily the worst start out this group finding himself in a strategically poor position and swung up seemingly frustrated with his colleagues. This single act had a dramatic effect on the overall results of the race. Eventually the remaining Division 2 riders did make it up to the leaders but burnt way too much energy in the process.

Division 1 seemed to have a perfectly planned start, however when Jack Bennett missed the back of the pace line on the first lap the plan started to go pear shaped. Gavin White set a wicked pace for 2 ½ laps swinging up to leave what he thought would be three riders to finish the job, unfortunately with Bennet gone  it was only two with still 5 ½ laps remaining.

Mid race
The scene was set for an exciting showdown between Gary Mandy, Glen Elton (both Div 2) and the remainder of Div 3, 4 .The writing was on the wall for Ben Harvey and Tirian McManus (Div 1) who were struggling about 80ms behind and with three laps to travel, that was until Scott Mills still smarting after his pitiful start dropped in front of the Div 1 duo and turned on the gas. Amazingly Scott was closing the gap with every pedal stroke and eventually delivered Ben and Tirian onto the door step the lead riders as they approached bell lap.

The final Lap
It all became too easy for our Div 1 riders who blasted over the top of the bunch with only Gary Mandy and Glen Elton able to raise any form of a chase.  Ben and Tirian drag raced the last bend but it was Ben Harvey who had more left in the tank to secure himself a set of sweet TWE wheels.

The presentation was conducted by TWE representative Brett Fenton in the absence of TWE owner Greg Ryan who was wrestling crocodiles in the Northern Territory

My opinion of the race: it was one lost by Div 3 and Div 2. I think Mandy and Elton waited too long and never seized upon the opportunity presented to them. Having said this, the result would have almost certainly been different had Scott Mills not have joined forces with the trailing div 1 duo.
Isn’t this the great thing about our sport, there is always so much more to the story than the names on a result sheet, but never enough room to write it on a medal. 

Video of TWE Wheel-Race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUDKUI1aTQ

all photo's by actionsnaps www.actionsnaps.com.au
mikesbytes

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »

Friday 31st July 2009
RAW Friday night Track Racing at Dunc Grey

My bike arrived at the track a bit earlier this week so I got out for some warmup. I felt better this week and it showed.

Warmup Race
I rolled off the front a bit before mid race and Othy attacked. From the top of the track I watched as everyone scrambled and looked for the hole to fill, that came from behind Joyce? (Waratah rider not in uniform with white beard) Actually Joyce lost a bit of a gap and had to work to get on, while I sucked his wheel. Anyway one by one the riders at the front rolled until Joyce was on the front and I thought, when Joyce rolls I'll go like a rocket, but Joyce didn't roll he just went round and round, eventually 4 riders went over the top of him, I jumped and chased, catching one of them for 4th place.

Italian Persuit
6 teams in total, as far as I saw 3 teams got it right and 3 teams were absolute disaster. My team was one of those to get it right, but the team that we raced got it right too and were faster than us. In hindsight the team captain could of got the order a little better, but its a difficult job as he doesn't really know all the riders.

Some kind of scratch race
I must write up these races closer to when I actually do them. with 1 1/2 laps to go I attacked over the top, but once I sat down I lost a little momentum and was swallowed by enough riders to be kept well out of the points

While it didn't show in the results, I felt my 2008 form had returned, while I only lost 6 weeks off the bike due to injury it seems to have taken all year for my momentum to return. Armed with warm and fuzzies, I elected to ride in the 2/3 combined instead of the 3/4 combined

Div 2/3 combined scratch
Pace was quick but not outside my limits, at time I was struggling, loosing a bike length and having to make it back up, Krafty commented on me struggling, then Christian came down the track and filled a hole I'd left, just in time for me to freshen up. A DHBC rider attacked of the front, might of been Alex C, not sure. Then Christian ended back on the front, but he was roasted leaving me at the front, I wanted to roll but this guy was half wheeling me and he wasn't forward enough so I could push him up the track. In hindsight I should of attacked, the DHBC rider was far enough in front not to be catched, so I wouldn't of ridden him down, but I was just [profanity] off with the half wheeling that I lost focus and just let the pack roll me, I didn't care.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 © Saxon North Technologies