March 28, 2024, 08:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The New Aero Bar Rules!?!????  (Read 11972 times)
Terminator

« on: August 08, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »

I might be opening a can of worms here, but I've asked 4 different people about what the new aero bar rules are, how they apply to us and when they will be first applied. Nobody gave me even a similar answer. I have been told that the ends of the extentions must be flat, parallel to the ground, and that you can't have them higher than your outside (starting) bars. HELP!!!!! I'm riding the pursuit in the metros and don't want to spend my entire time arguing with commissares about my bike.
Alex Simmons/RST

Cycling Coach & RAW Track Sponsor

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 07:15:25 AM »

I might be opening a can of worms here, but I've asked 4 different people about what the new aero bar rules are, how they apply to us and when they will be first applied. Nobody gave me even a similar answer. I have been told that the ends of the extentions must be flat, parallel to the ground, and that you can't have them higher than your outside (starting) bars. HELP!!!!! I'm riding the pursuit in the metros and don't want to spend my entire time arguing with commissares about my bike.
Good luck getting an answer.  As a commissaire I can tell you we never get issued with updates on rule changes.

The bar ends for handgrips of extensions can be turned up but the extensions themselves cannot be tilted up or have a curve upwards or a bend upwards part way along the extension.

Whether or not the local commissaires actually understand and correctly apply the new ruling is another kettle of fish.  I have heard stories of the wrong advice being given at the State road TT by the comms on duty, so one better have a copy of the UCI clarification notice in their back pocket just in case....

Page 7 of the attached applies.  Mind you, in typical UCI fashion, the clarification actually raises more questions thatn it answers.
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTkzNg&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=NTI0MDY&LangId=1

Terminator

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 12:21:48 PM »

Thanks Alex,
It was the news of what was being told to riders at the NSW Time Trial that got me scared.
It seems that the UCI is trying to now stop the Landis style with the arms raised in front of the face. (Strange, because that's how the original aero bars were set up). It's just that the vague translation used by the UCI can be misconstrued to read almost anything.

I'm sticking with the position I used at the NSW track titles and should be OK.
millsy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:36 AM »

hay rob its millsy and l have been told that the bar rule will not be in place for this weekend as there has to be a meeting to adopt the rules
Terminator

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:25:36 PM »

Thats Good, but it means that the next time my pursuit bike hits the track will be at the World Track Championships, and will still be in it's current configuration. Then someone will tell me that it all has to change and I'm a million miles from home with no spares and serious tools to do the job properly.

Thanks for the update mate and I'll see you on the weekend.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 © Saxon North Technologies