April 25, 2024, 04:50:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 9 (Aug 15) Results  (Read 19313 times)
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »

Raw Track          
Race All Winter Track          
Dunc Gray  Velodrome, Sydney, Australia         
Week 9 August 15  2009         

Results         

Round 1         
Warm up scratch race         
Div 5    

1   Alex Gardner      
2   William Lehmann      
3   Adrian Emillsen      
4   Norbert Gerold      

Div 4    

1   Jonathan Gowlland      
2   David Russell      
3   Caitlin Todd      
4   Ian Dencker      

Div 3         
1   Joshua Lester      
2   Peter Harvey      
3   Matt Lester      
4   Sasha Belobrajdic      

Div 2         
1   Gary Mandy      
2   Mick Smith      
3   Nosh Mistry      
4   Alex Chubb      

Div 1         
1   Scott Law      
2   Jack Bennett      
3   Gavin White      
4   Patrick Kilmurray      

Novice          
1   Alex Gardner      
2   Russell Menzies      

Round 2         
Fat Mans          
1   Aaron Latinovic   107.5kg   
2   Bill Laing      108.3kg
3   Chris Brown   101.2kg   
4   Mathew Hynes   111.7kg    

Round 3         

Kierin Div 5 heat 1         
1   Vince O'Dwyer      
2   William Lehmann      
3   Joanne Troutman      
4   Victoria Armstrong      

Kierin Div 5 heat 2         
1   Richard Jefford      
2   Jamie Sell      
3   Norbert Gerold      
4   David Greenwood      

Kierin Div 4 heat 1         
1   Catherine Culvenor      
2   Katrina Lane      
3   Caitkin Todd      
4   Lise Benjamin      

Kierin Div 4 heat 2         
1   Andrew Brookfield      
2   David Russell      
3   Jeff Vaughn-Floyd      
4   Ian Dencker      

Kierin Div 4 heat 3         
1   Jonathon Gowlland      
2   Michael Chidgey      
3   Matthew Hynes      
4   Alex Gardiner      

Kierin Div 3 heat 1         
1   Darryl Thorncraft      
2   Peter Harvey      
3   Eddy Pearce      
4   Jeff Smith      

Kierin Div 3 heat 2         
1   Craig Hutton      
2   Alex Simmons      
3   Shaun Colley      
4   Neil Land      

Kierin Div 3 heat 3         
1   Matt Lester      
2   Sasha Belobrajdic      
3   Micheal Clement       
4   Tim Briers      

Kierin Div 3 heat 4         
1   George Lowe      
2   John Nguyen       
3   Stephen Joyce      
4   Joshua Lester      

Kierin Div 2 heat 1         
1   Scott Mills      
2   Peter Carsadden      
3   Alex Ramsay      
4   Dean Beniedetti      

Kierin Div 2 heat 2         
1   Grant Fraser      
2   Keith Oliver      
3   Andrew Herlihan      
4   Michael Rand      

Kierin Div 2 heat 3         
1   Andrew McLean      
2   Bill Laing      
3   Gary Mandy      
4   Nosh Mistry      

Kierin Div 1 heat 1         
1   Jack Bennett      
2   Chris Brown      
3   Simon Llewelyn      
4   Timothy McMillan      

Kierin Div 1 heat 2         
1   Nathan Hart      
2   David Willmott      
3   David Brown      
4   Brett Fenton      

Kierin Div 1 heat 3         
1   Patrick Kilmurray      
2   Ben Harvey      
3   Gavin White      
4   Scott Law      

Round 4         
Motor pace  Div 5          
1   Richard Jefford      
2   Vince O'Dwyer      
3   David Greenwood      
4   Joanne Troutman      

Motor Pace Div 4          
1   David russell      
2   Ian Dencker      
3   Alex Gardner      
4   Jonathon Gowlland      

Motor Pace Div 3          
1   Craig Hutton      
2   Christian Lees       
3   Peter Harvey      
4   Sasha Belobrajdic      

Motor pace Div 2          
1   andrew McLean      
2   Mick Smith      
3   Tim Llewellyn      
4   Scott Mills      

Miss'n'Out Div 1          
1   Scott Law      
2   Ben Harvey      
3   Jack Bennett      
4   Ben Simonelli      

Round 5         
Italian Blue v Yellow         
5th    Yellow       
6th    Blue       

Italian Orange v  Purple         
3rd   Orange       
4th    Purple       

Italian Red v Green         
1   Green       
2   Red       

1   Green       
2   Red      
3   Orange      
4   Purple       
5   Yellow       
6   Green       
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:30:23 AM by Artson » Logged
othy

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »

Might as well give a brief report as Crafty assures me that people like to read these (in the general sense, not mine in particular).

A little introduction first.  I ride Div 3 for DHBC, took up cycling 18 months ago to lose weight after sitting in an office job doing no excercise for the last 5 years. Quickly got sucked into track racing through the club (I'm not the first).  This is my second season of RAW track and it just gets better each time.

Warm up Scratch Race
Great to see Alex Simmons riding with us in Div 3.  Not so great to see him pushing the pace when he got on the front..twice.  I was attempting the tried and true place getting tactic of sitting on George Lowes wheel and waiting for him to go.  This was going well until he moved in front of a rider rolling off the front and I was left pushing wind.  I accelerate to the lead and up the pace with 3 laps to go.  Die with 2 laps to go and slip through to the back.  Finish someone off the back, but now feeling warmed up.

Kierin
I don't mind these - I do a lot of motorpace training, though I don't have much of a sprint.  I've been trying not to think too much tactically in races as this never seems to work.  So, noting who was in my keirin, I roll out and get myself into third wheel behind Sasha - a simple tactic of sucking a strong wheel to a place.  Derny doesn't go all that fast and I'm very comfortable for the race.  Sasha decides to ride the race above the blue line for some reason and I follow.  I wait and wait for him to accelerate for the win but it never happens.  Finally decide that I need to overtake and its too far over the top, and I might go under, only to find Mike has thought the same thing and taken the spot I wanted.  No time left, I push up, don't get anywhere, push down, Mikes not going anywhere, and I have to settle for 4th place.

Motorpace
Having watched the previous races I figured that position at the final derny acceleration was everything in this race.  If the field splits you'll be gone.  So with 23 riders in our group and 15 laps, with half lap turns I place myself a few off the front for the start of race, hoping that if all goes well I'll be in the top 5 come the final laps.  I do my first turn behind the derny and roll to the rear. d I don't try riding in the wind as there is still plenty of time left in the race.  I start waiting as my turn comes around again and count the laps and riders in front.  The rear of the paceline is very squiggly.  

More laps, more calculating, more thinking.  I'm getting closer and everything is looking very good.  I realise that I'm going to hit the front for the final acceleration, which is great for me as I know I can hold the derny very well all the way to max speed.  The derny takes off and I follow.  And I keep following sitting millimeters from it enjoying the ride.  I'm so focused on the derny that I follow it all the way off the track onto the flat.  Oops.  Quickly move back up into the sprint lane and take off.  I don't feel anyone behind so I keep going.  Its not until I've done a full lap on the front that I check only to realise that two riders have made it with me.  I pull off and mess up my rotate, taking half a lap to get back on.  At which point the lead rider pulls up and its my turn again - I haven't even rested!  They shout at me to pull up as I'm not pulling very well and I slide back watching them go.  The bunch finally catches me and they all pass.  Finish at the back again.  Big mistake that I kick myself for was the full lap at max pace.  I really should have checked behind and done a half lap and worked with the other two in the break.  I probably dragged the other two to victory by letting them rest for so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pva1lRyTeQ8

edited by paul craft Tim is red jersey blue frame

Italian Persuit
I was in Yellow team so we got to battle it out for ..... 5th place!  Or the honour of not being last.  I've done a few italian persuits before including just the last Saturday at our club racing.  We divide our team into divisions and then split the divisions into strengths.  There are many familiar faces including several club members so we work out spots quite well.  I'm riding in almost identical order to our club race last week.  Mike in front, Sean behind.  The front riders are told how important it is that they take off smoothly and make sure you listen to any talk coming up the line.

We roll off nicely and everyone is together.  2 laps in and the pace picks up dramatically.  Our Div 4 riders are pulling a fantastic race.  We can see the other team just around the bend.  It eases up slightly for one turn (no names) and the other team is starting to accerelate.  There is much talking (read: shouting) about pushing the pace.  Mikes turn comes and he smoothly ups the speed another knotch.  I hold his wheel and check that everyone is still on.  My turn comes around and I can see the rear of the other team, not close enough to catch but enough for an extra bit of motivation.  I accelerate smoothly and try to hold the pace for the full lap.  Roll off and watch our guys still going strong with no splits.  I think they are going to catch but the tail end of the other team has some great pace.  We win in the end but didn't manage to catch them, still we almost made it and a great ride by our final riders.

Conclusion
Thanks Crafty for another great night of racing.  Possibly one of my favourites for this season so far and despite not placing, the racing was fun.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:03:21 AM by Artson » Logged
Artson
Administrator
Get'a'Life-Member

If it isn’t fixed its broken

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »

Green Team Tribute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXD4ze5A7k
mikesbytes

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »

Raw Track Racing - Friday 15th August 2009 - Dunc Grey

Scratch Warmup race 15? laps
Pace started out slower than an old lady driving to church on Sunday, then Alex Simmons got on the front and bang we were off. The other riders scambled, while cracks in the line appeared. I didn't loose my cool, I just sucked the wheel of one of the panicking riders and saved my energy. Then Alex did it again, there was another scrambling but no I didn't loose my cool, I grabbed the wheel of a rider who I thought would attack around the outside at the end, but he decided not to go for it, so I finished at the back of the pack after not challenging.

But wait there's more... Alex Simmons was called to the commissar for some post race discussion LOL

Afterwards I was discussing with the Bankstown boys that we should hide Alex's racing leg.

Derby? (got to learn the names of these races) 6 laps
Basically its 3 1/2 laps behind the motorbike and then we race for the last 2 1/2 laps. With the motorbike out the way I ended up on the back and with just under 1 1/2 laps to go, there was one rider in the racing line and everyone else sitting higher on the track, I decided to take a punt and go into the racing line, I would be boxed in, but this isn't miss'm out. Coming around the last corner as one would expect I was boxed in but then a gap appeared and I went for it, but I didn't manage to roll the guy in front and I got rolled on the outside, so that was 3rd.

Motorpace 20 laps?
Is this a race is this a training session? We had to sit behind the bike for a whole bunch of laps and the front rider rolled ever 1/2 lap. I thought I had a good position in the line when the motorbike pulled out, but the first 3 riders took off and the riders behind them didn't chase. In the end we caught up to the on the line, but I didn't really get to ride in anger and finished about 6th.

Italian Persuit
Grid positions were based on how many points your team delivered during the night, I was in team yellow. Div 3 turned out to be the same boys who did the Italian persuit at Tempe on Saturday, so we used the same order. The div 5 members did a stunning start and then 2 div 4 boys pulled really hard, we had caught up a ton of distance on the other team, I thought we were going to catch them, then we slowed with a div 4 girl on the front and then it was me, time to wind up the Div 3 train, I cranked it right up, having riders behind me who were use to me made gave me the confidence that as long as I wound it up, I could pull has hard as I wanted. rolling off I could see that we were no longer gaining on the other team, but we had such a lead that it didn't matter. In the end we finished about the same distance off them, the race was one with the Div 5 riders. In there defence they had a boy do 2 laps, but that's racing. The single (as in 1, uno, i,) point was ours. Sometimes glory has small returns.

After some light refreshment got a lift home with George, so it was a great opportunity to tell my joke about the differences between New Zealanders and Scotsmen.
Alex Simmons/RST

Cycling Coach & RAW Track Sponsor

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:59:28 PM »

But wait there's more... Alex Simmons was called to the commissar for some post race discussion LOL
Which had nothing to do with what I did during the race, but a manoeuvre I pulled after the finish which the comms quite rightly reminded me was not quite appropriate, especially given the grade I am riding in.

Afterwards I was discussing with the Bankstown boys that we should hide Alex's racing leg.
Cheesy  I think I'll install an electric shock device in that case  Grin

Nosh

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 02:03:02 AM »

Alex,

Ever think of streamlining that leg with a teardrop shaped CF fairing. Would give you a few tenths of a second over the existing shape.

Keep it in the 3:1 UCI guidelines  Wink

Nosh.
alchemist

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 02:49:17 AM »

Derby? (got to learn the names of these races) 6 laps

Or you could just read the programme, results or the report just above yours  Wink
mikesbytes

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 11:03:05 AM »

Cheesy  I think I'll install an electric shock device in that case  Grin

I'd better be careful which side I overtake you on  Wink
Alex Simmons/RST

Cycling Coach & RAW Track Sponsor

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 10:41:15 PM »

Alex,

Ever think of streamlining that leg with a teardrop shaped CF fairing. Would give you a few tenths of a second over the existing shape.

Keep it in the 3:1 UCI guidelines  Wink

Nosh.
I will actually be doing that. 

I am just waiting for a special component to be manufactured (a cleat adapter plate) and once I have that, I can fit a new, slightly lighter pylon section and readjust all the angles/length to suit.  Once I'm satisfied all is good, it goes back to the prosthetic guy and we are making a CF aerofoil shell to go over it all.

I have already downloaded the NACA aerofoil design specs and have graphed the starting shapes (and yes have even done that within the 3:1 ratio).  The basic shape in a 3:1 cross section looks like this (shown enclosing a cylindrical pipe) but of course it has to be variable diameter as you go down the cross section of the leg components:

This has all been made possible due to the fund raising at my benefit night organised by Crafty.

mikesbytes

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »

Is the best performance from a rigid leg, or one with specifically designed flex?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

English Steel 1.6 © Saxon North Technologies